23 June 2011

Writer's Workshop Thursday: Ireland

Mama’s Losin’ It


Please be sure to visit Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop to play along!

I would love to visit Ireland, but until the airport security measures change, that will not happen (unless I learn to do long distance swimming!). I refuse to be subjected to the humiliation of strangers seeing parts of me that I don't even want to see myself.

Anyway, I would love, love to go to Ireland. It is the country that the majority of my ancestors came from, to meet up with the other already-here ancestors (Cherokee Indians). I want to walk where they walked over there, breathe the air that they breathed, see the ocean views from the Cliffs of Moher, visit the graves of grandmothers long gone. I want to see with my eyes what has long been in my heart and in my blood.


I want to know the people. They have struggled for so long...at least a thousand years the battle has been. I want to know what makes them tick. I want to know their hearts. Our blood is the same, but experiences have been an ocean apart.




While Hollywood movies tend to glorify some of the Irish experience, I don't hold any notions that everything is a piece of cake over there. I know it isn't. There is ugliness in every country, in every group of people. But, these people are MY people and I want to be there some day and experience it outside of a movie drama or book. I want to experience it fully. There is a big part of me missing until I can visit where my heart so longs to be.

Note: I found these photos online several years ago, but cannot find the reference that tells me where I found them. It was a site with free images of Ireland. Any copyright violation is completely unintentional. If they are your photos and you want me to remove them, please contact me: Suzanne McClendon

2 comments:

  1. The comment about airport security made me laugh out loud!
    I found the section on wanting to connect with your ancestors by being where they had been very moving. Nicely written. The closing sentence is perfect. I feel the longing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @May

    Thank you, May. I am glad to have made you laugh. :)

    Thank you for your kind comments and for visiting and commenting. I appreciate this very much.

    I hope that you have a great night!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...